Budget & the Beach got started because I needed an outlet to openly discuss my spending and saving habits, my journey on the rocky road known as freelancing, and just about everything related to personal finance. I had a public blog called Life, Accomplished where I started writing about this kind of thing, but because my friends and family all knew about it, I wasn’t comfortable talking about my money where I knew anyone in “real life” could read it.
I started putting all my energy into Budget and the Beach…and loved every second of it! It’s the first of many blogs I’ve written over the years that I can say is a “success” (in my own mind), and that I’m incredibly proud of.
I’m also beyond grateful to have “met” so many wonderful people in the PF community. It’s amazing that you can find such deep connections with people that you’ve never even met in person (although I’m looking forward to meeting a lot of you at Fincon13!). Your support and encouragement has meant the world to me and has gotten me through some pretty dark times in the last year.
So how have things changed from a year ago? Well work (at least for now) has been a lot steadier and more lucrative this year, I follow a budget every single month, even when I slip up and sometimes go over, I’m no longer in any kind of debt, and I have saved a significant amount (but not done yet) in my emergency fund. I’ve also “gotten real” about why I spend money, and have embraced frugality (well for the most part).
To show my appreciation, I have a blogiversary giveaway for you! It’s for $50 cash and a $15 gift card from Starbucks! You can enter at the bottom of the page! And here’s to what I hope is an even better year this year!
April Goals Review
1. Do a 30 Day No Alcohol Challenge! (PASS!) Although I think the experiment was a complete fail. NOT having a glass of wine here and there made me want it even more and make worse choices (ice cream) instead of a little vino. And I felt NO different…except feeling cranky about it. 🙂
2. No Spending Money on Eating Out Challenge. (FAIL!) Although basically it added up to one diet coke, one sandwich, and one reasonably priced meal out.
3. Do two new hikes. (PASS!)
4. STAY IN BUDGET (shoulder expenses not included)! (PASS-ish!) I didn’t stay in budget with my projected amount from last year, but I made well over what I projected, and still had a lot of money left over to save!
5. Cook one new recipe/week. (FAIL-ish) I didn’t do one every week but I did cook three new recipes, so that’s something.
6. Do not check my email in bed. (FAIL!)
7. Attend one Toastmaster meeting to see if it’s something I’d be interested in. (FAIL!) Dammit I was going to attend one on Monday but a project I was working on went on into the evening. See what happens when you wait till the last minute?
8. Sell two household items. (PASS!) I sold my iPod shuffle and my old video camera.
9. Get taxes organized for the first three months of this year so next year is not so challenging. (PASS-ish!) I got pretty organized but it’s hard to feel like you’re ever really done.
10. Plant a garden. (PASS!) Although it isn’t looking so good. 🙁
11. Be able to run 8 miles in the sand (the longest I’ve gone is probably 6).(PASS PASS PASS!) Can you tell I’m excited about that one? 🙂 I actually did a 7 mile, 8 mile and 6.64 run this month (along with many smaller runs).
P.S. I just wanted to add that I used to have a goal of meditating every day. I dropped it because I actually do meditate just about every day now out of habit. Yay!
1. Make it to running 10 consecutive miles on the beach. Yikes!
2. Attend a Toastmasters meeting.
3. Create another BATB TV episode (because I’m long overdue).
4. Visit an LA landmark I’ve never been to before.
5. Sell two household items.
6. Get to a yoga class and test out the shoulder.
7. Finish reading one damn book. Seriously, I’m so bad about finishing books!
8. Stick to the free course I signed up with at Coursera called Inspiring Leadership through Emotional Intelligence.
Any big goals for you in May?
Latest posts by Tonya (see all)
- Real Money Stories: New House, New Baby, & Student Loans - July 26, 2017
- Ask Budget & the Beach: Blogging & the Beach - July 19, 2017
- Mid-Year Goals Checkup - July 17, 2017